Monday, July 26, 2010

Lucius's First Birthday

On Sunday Mike and I went down to Spring Valley to see one of his oldest friends, Jon. Jon and his wife, Trisha, have a son and on Sunday we celebrated his 1st birthday.



It was interesting to say the least. Apparently Jon's family is Phillipeno and I think I heard that Trisha's family is Portuguese-Canadian. Yah, I know. You're confused, right? The food was amazing. I'm not always a crazy food person, but I will try everything once. My parents told me that was the polite thing to do, and you never know if you're going to find something that you like.


Boy were they right! First up, noodles. Noodles like chow mein, except made with those clear and wobbly kind of noodles instead of the thick kind.

Noodles were a success.

Next up, eggroll looking things with shrimp inside. Shrimp wasn't chewy. Eggroll wrapper was crispy.

Another success.

There was carne asada and pollo asada from Mike's dad's shop which is always a hit with people. I had a bit of both (you'd think I'd get enough of it because it's in my freezer, but it's never enough!).

Then I grabbed something new. I honestly didn't know what was in it. It looked like those 1 foot eggrolls you can get at the fair...but it had what looked like crystallized sugar on the outside. Huh?

BINGO!

It was a big plantain (banana-like) eggroll with carmelized sugar on the outside. I was in heaven! Think churro+bananas foster. All I needed was some ice cream.

As if that wasn't enough, Jon had made some ceviche that was pretty good so I munched on that and I topped everything off with an oatmeal raisin cookie.


I ate my way through a one-year old's birthday party.

It was great.

I skipped the cake by the way, but only because I had a banana eggroll and a cookie already. I didn't want to look like a fat cow.

No comments: