Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 18: If I could choose a different time period to live in it would be...

So my sorority sister already did this little excercise and she chronicled it here.  Unfortunately, I was going to use a similar answer.  She did an excellent job of using books to describe the time periods though, don't you think? 

So I'll bring it to you a little differently, I want to be an early 1800's lady.  The carriages.  The balls.  The dresses.  The art of letter writing. 

I think I could handle that. 

But what about the uncertainty of being a lady in that era?  What about the corsets?  What about marriage as an act of desperation instead of love?  What about all of the music and art the ladies were expected to master? 

Wait a minute, some things haven't changed all that much. 

I still have to put on Spanx.  I still have to worry about an "advantageous marriage."  I still have to be artistic and demure. 

Except for one small thing:  I can do all of these things on my own.  I can have a job, own a home, marry when I want, marry when I want. 

Alright, I'll scratch my answer and say that I'd still live in the time perioud I live in.  I like it.  I still think there is a long way to go for equality for women, but hey, we're getting there. 

No comments: