Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 19: The first time I...

The first time I...

...went to Cal Poly Pomona for a counseling session before I enrolled in classes I met a gigantic Kimodo dragon

No, I'm not joking.  I was visiting the campus just after I had graduated from high school.  I'd been there once before to attend my "early admission" day with my parents, but this time was different.  I was on campus to meet with some of the professors (my advisor was on an expedition and wasn't available) to see which of the Biology tracks I should focus on. 

It just happened to be the day of a very large reptile show, and it was being housed in Building 3 (the Science building).  I had been visiting some professors in Building 8 (just below the Science building) and as I exited to walk up the back side of the hill towards the parking lot, I saw students literally jumping off of the sidewalk in front of me. 

I had no idea what was going on.  I got out my cell phone (like any clueless 17 year old would) and called my mom.  As I'm chatting with her about what the professors said and what I learned and how much I hated my job at Chuck E Cheese's, I heard someone telling me to get out of the way.  I looked up just in time to see a gigantic dragon walking down the sidewalk towards me with his tongue slipping eerily in and out of its mouth. 

I wasn't a Biology student yet, but I knew it was poisonous.  I lept off of the sidewalk and while I was trying to catch my breath (that hill was BAD) I just explained to my mother what just happened to me. 

I wasn't sure, but either that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen or I was about to enter college at a place that might kill me...

Turns out I didn't die.

No comments: