Sunday, August 15, 2010

Social Sunday!!!

I kind of switched things around this week and gave you some scripture support yesterday.  I hope you'll understand it was for a very good reason:  On Saturday morning I went to see Julia Roberts in "Eat Pray Love" with my parents and I wanted to review it for you here. 

First off, let me tell you that I did read the book.  Actually, I had the book read to me!  I borrowed the book on CD's and let the author, Elizabeth Gilbert, read the book to me. 

I laughed a lot.  I cried a little.  But each day I listened to the book, I felt like I was stepping into a different life.  That's what books are for, right?  Escape? 

I was a little apprehensive about seeing the movie version, if only because it was not viewed by movie critics and initial response was not positive. 

But if you know me, you know my love for Julia Roberts.  I absolutely must go see this movie! 

However if you know Mike, you know that any ploy to try to get him to see this movie was futile as soon he heard me say "But the book was really good..."  Game over.  End of discussion.  Chick movie turned into a chick flick.  Adios.  Bye bye.  Not a chance. 

So I grabbed my parents yesterday and we headed to the movies!

I should warn you, if you read the book by Gilbert, you'll probably be missing a lot of the actual text.  I know I did.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie.  I went through nearly the same emotions that the book inspired, I simply went through them much more quickly.  I read the book over a two week span, however the movie was only 2 hours. 

I would like to point out that even througouth the movie, I fell in love with Richard from Texas.  I want to be Richard.  I want to speak in "bumper sticker" lingo.  I want to be brutally honest.  I want to be full of quippy comments.  I want to have a story.  Not just a story. 

I should also point out, I want to eat my way through Italy.  "Carbohydrates and Conjugations" would have been an excellent name for a book, and I would have eaten pasta while reading the text.

 But more than anything in the movie and the book, I needed to hear Gilbert's words regarding finding and defining God: 
"In the end, what I have come to believe about God is simple. It's like this-- I used to have this really great dog. She came from the pound. She was a mixture of about ten different breeds, but seemed to have inherited the finest features of them all. She was brown. When people asked me,What kind of dog is that?" I would always give the same answer: "she's a brown dog." Similarly, when the question is raised, "What kind of God do you beieve in?" my answer is easy: "I believe in a magnificent God."

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I've heard mixed reviews about the book, that eat and love are good, but the pray part is boring. Is it a must read or can I live without reading it?

kippyskippy said...

I hate to say this, since I did read the book and I actually enjoyed it, but:

You can skip the book.

I fell in love with a few characters from the book that I still really enjoyed during the movie.

However, if you already like Italy and Bali then you might really enjoy reading about her travels there.