Saturday, August 28, 2010

A little fun for your weekend...

You can find me here on Saturday with my parents. 

You see, there's something you should probably know about me: I'm a "wine-oh."  Not a wine snob.  Not a "wino" like some guy that drinks it out of a paper bag on the side of the road. 

I am a "wine-oh." 

I drink wine because I like it.  I don't care how much the wine that I like costs.  I don't care what the label looks like.  I don't care if only virgins harvest the grapes and they are mashed by men in satin slippers. 

My rule is: If it tastes good, then drink it. 

So in honor of heading over to the Rancho Cucamonga festival today, I thought I'd share with you a few of my favorite local wineries. 

First stop, a local winery only a few miles away from my home. 
J Filippi Winery
12467 Baseline Road
Etiwanda, CA 91739-9522
(909) 899-5755
This is a great rustic winery that isn't too far from Victoria Gardens in Rancho Cucamonga.  They have a gift shop, tasting room, antiques, and $5 tastings.  Best of all, they have a wide variety of wines to choose from and most wines are less than $20 per bottle.  If you're a port fan, then you absolutely must try their Ruby-Ruby Port.  At $14 per bottle it's one of my favorite and most affordable wines of all time! 

Next stop on our winery tour is a bit larger and more "corporate" winery. 
South Coast Winery
34843 Rancho California Road

Temecula, CA 92591
(951) 587-9463
This winery is located in the heart of Temecula's wine tasting region, and is just up the road from amazing wineries such as Ponte, Cougar, Hart, and many more!  While they have plenty of wine for all tastes, my two favorite wines reside at this place.  The first is a Chardonnay that is only $15 per bottle that is aged in stainless steele instead of oak called Sans Chene.  Next up, for the port lovers again, is the Black Jack Port coming in at $38 per bottle.  It's one of my most expensive favorite wines, but worth the splurge! 

Last, but not least, I recommend that everyone find a little wine shoppe or nice somallier to help you work out some purchases.  I've found one that I adore, and they have wine classes too! 
California Wine and Cheese
115 W. Foothill Boulevard
Monrovia CA 91016
(626)358-6500
The store is stocked with all sorts of California wines and they rotate their tastings weekly.  I recommend signing up for the free email newsletter to see if you'd like to visit for a taste.  Also to die for are their $10-$12 cheese plates.  Sometimes I go there for lunch just because I love cheese so much!  I don't have a "favorite" wine here, but that's okay.  They don't produce any wines themselves, but they would be happy to recommend something for you if you're looking for a specific type or gift. 

So that was my San Gabriel Valley wine tour.  I hope you enjoyed it.  I'm off to drink wine all day with my parents and hopefully I'll bring back some photos of the Rancho Cucamonga festival to show you! 

Eat (and drink) happy! 

Kipp

No comments: