Saturday, January 15, 2011

You want a resolution? I'll give you a resolution!

As I've mentioned before, I don't do resolutions.  I simply am not resolute enough to make any sort of resolution.  There you go, it's the honest truth. 

So what did I do? 

I made all of my "changes" at Christmas.  It's a great time to look back and say, "Self, you consumed way too much butter this year.  No more of that.

Also, and this is a personal favorite of mine, it is right before most of my bills come.  The first three months of the year find me paying for quite a few things and I think it's very sill of me to do this immediately following the gift-giving season.  But alas, I've set up my life this way and therefore I must abide by it.  In January, February, and March I will find myself paying for my AAA membership, my GLAZA membership (if I renew it), my car registration, my annual gym membership, and a handful of other things.  It's quite a money draining quarter. 

So I don't make a resolution in January to start saving lots and lots of money because, well, for me it is simply impossible.  The bulk of my annual saving is done in April through September. 

So as I'm sitting here and grumbling to myself about how stupid a New Year's Resolution is, and then I stumble upon a blog written by one of my favorite musical artists: Jason Mraz. 

It's called Now Here's Resolutions and it's all about things you can say or do to update your outlook on life.  I can dig it. 

It's not hard. 

It's not going to change the world. 

But it will change my world. 

My favorite part: 

"So often we say, I HAVE to go to work. I HAVE to pick up some groceries. I HAVE to call so & so. Making a conscious shift and using the words “GET-TO” can change everything. We GET TO go to work. We GET TO pick up some groceries. We GET TO call so & so. I hear my dad say, I HAVE to go check on your grandmother, but I know how much he loves that he can do it. I encourage him to say, I GET TO go check on your grandmother. Pretty soon, we may not have that honor."

So I think you GET TO go look at this blog, and try to transform the way you speak in your daily life. 

Kipp

No comments: