Monday, November 1, 2010

Why I'm so sad...

I'm sort of depressed. 

No, really.  I am. 

Last night, Big Mike and I waited up until 10 o'clock. 

We lit the candle in the pumpkin and put him outside our door. 

We turned on our porch light. 

We waited. 

And waited. 

And waited some more. 

Then, we watched the first four episodes of Mad Men Season 1. 

Then, we waited some more. 

Finally, we turned off our light and went to bed. 

Without handing out a single piece of candy. 

Not a single trick or treat'er. 

Not one little kid that I could ask, "Oh, what are YOU supposed to be?"

Not one smart butt that I have to say, "My, aren't YOU scary!"

I have to go now.  I have three entire bags of fun size candy to eat to fill the void in my heart created by the lack of cute little kids.  Those m&m's, Snickers, and Twix bars aren't going to eat themselves, you know. 

Did you have any kids come to your door?  Did I forget something?  Was I supposed to put a big sign out that said "FREE CANDY" or something?  Where do all the kids go on Halloween now?  Church festivals?  The mall?  Their grandmother's houses? 

3 comments:

Laura said...

Maybe kids don't come to condos or apartments anymore? I just realized that since I moved out of my house seven years ago, not one kid has ever come to my door. In fact, I bought a bag of candy for myself this year. ha!

Kristen said...

That is SO SAD!! I'd be so bummed out. I'm sorry!

Terri said...

I just think the number of kids going door to door is less than in the past...in most cases. However, I do work with some who live in affluent areas where the kids are 'bussed in', and their numbers get greater every year. We had six kids- all small, but we live in a development isolated by a field from a much larger development - not too many over there either. Cierra went to a party - the family a couple doors down had a small party in the front yard. Maybe it's not such a big thing anymore ... or people think that only the more expensive areas are safe. I don't know, but our numbers have been declining over the past few years. Could just be that the kids are growing up and new ones haven't yet moved in.