Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Musings: Part Two

I have a cold. 

I'm taking cold medicine. 

Cold medicine makes me looney. 

I apologize in advance. 

Ready, set, go. 

Everyday last week and continuing on into this week, I've been boiling a few sticks of cinnamon in some water on my stove.  My friend Momma Bug told me that her aunt used to boil cinnamon sticks in water with a few drops of oil to "kill the bugs" in her house.  I said, "Screw the bugs, it smells amazing." 

So I went to the grocery story and cinnamon sticks were ridiculously expensive.  A small jar with 4-5 sticks was $6. 

So then I went to my local ethnic grocery store and got a whole bag of cinnamon sticks (about 25) for less than $3.  My grocery store happens to be middle eastern, but I'm sure you could find the same great deal at a hispanic grocery store too. 

So throw some water in a pot, throw 2-3 cinnamon sticks in, a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil, and turn the heat on really low.  Don't forget to turn the heat off before you leave the house. 

By the way, the same pot and the same 2-3 sticks last me a few days.  I just put the lid on when I turn off the heat.  Add more water when you need it.  Keep your house warm and smelling very holiday! 

Thank you Momma Bug. 

I've noticed something that bugs me: the Philippines are spelled with a "Ph-" but the people from the Philippines are Filipino with an "F-".  I'm baffled.  It turns my world upside down.  I cannot understand.  Shouldn't the country be the Filippines?  Or the people be Philipino?  Oh jeez.  My brain hurts. 

The Pioneer Woman's book comes out February 1st.  Don't believe me?  Click here.  I'm so excited.  I cannot wait to put on my favorite pair of holey yoga pants and curl up with some country cooking to read it. 

Our tree has been up since November 20th.  Yes, that's early.  In my defense it's because Big Mike was leaving for Thanksgiving.  I had to get him to help me before he left.  In reality, I just wanted it to feel like Christmas.  Pictures to follow.   

I order our holiday cards last night.  40 cards.  40 envleopes.  That means we've got to play the "Top 40 Friends & Family" game soon, and I'm hoping Big Mike lets me have a few more than 20 cards...I'm selfish that way. 

I went to see "HP7" last week with my daddy.  It was hard.  I knew they had to cut it into two parts.  I prepared myself for this happening.  Then it happened and I was still upset.  Ah nuts.  I was crying at the time, Dobby died.  I cannot believe Dobby died.  And he said that he was glad he was with his friends.  Yup, that did me in.  Waterworks. 

I absolutely, totally, one-hundred percent, cannot stand it when women wear heels, boots, or wedges and then proceed to CLOMP around in them like some miniature pony.  It bugs me in the store.  It bugs me in the office.  It bugs me everywhere.  If you cannot walk politely in your shoes, then you shouldn't wear those shoes. 

Reckless Kelly is coming to Los Angeles.  December 7th at the Mint.  I'm there.  Along with my two favorite Reckless Kelly fans, Shelly and Amanda.  Love.  This.  Dive.  Bar.  Band.  Thank you Shelly for introducing me to them! 

I've come to the realization that because we live in sunny southern California, there are only 2 ways to identify that the holidays have arrived:

First, KOST 103.5 begins playing holiday music.

Next, red cups arrive at your local Starbucks. 

Without snow falling or trees dying, us So-Cal people have no idea what's going on. 

That's it for me. 

I promise I'll get back to posting photography, recipes, and Maddie stories soon.  But for now I'm going to pop a few more cold pills and get back to feeling like a train rain over a pile of poop and that pile of poop is me. 

No comments: