Sunday, April 10, 2011

My (slightly) Green Thumb

It's been about 2 weeks since we started collecting things for our garden, and I haven't killed anything (yet). 

The snapdragons and Ranunculus I mentioned previously are still alive, although there are a couple that could use some perking up.  My lemon tree is just itching to grow some lemons (I hope).  And the herbs, well the herbs are doing well and getting some house renovations! 

First, let's recap. 

There are 6 spots in the herb trays. 

6 herbs I decided that I really couldn't live without.  Okay, I ended up with 5 because frankly I don't know what I can and can't live without just yet. 

I know I needed rosemary. 


Rosemary in bread is a staple.  I love it.  However, I don't love that the rosemary sort of looks like one of those little Bonsai trees.  Sort of creeps me out. 

Next up, basil. 



Everyon needs basil, if for no other reason then to layer it with mozzarella and tomatoes and sprinkle it with balsamic vinegar for a quick salad or snack.  I love caprese. 

Our following guest is a test, frankly I just liked how green and soft these things are.  I don't know if I'll get much use out of them.  Chives. 



I'm not a big garnish person, but I imagine the chive will be used for garnish and baked potatoes in our house. 

Peppermint. 


I don't know how to cook with peppermint, but I intend to try.  I know I like the scent.  I know it looked like a hearty plant I'd have a hard time killing.  That's all I know for now.  Maybe I'll put it into tea or something?  Who knows? 

From last year, oregano has held up. 


Although, I suppose it's seen better days.  It's a little brown around the edges, and so I'm going to keep it watered to try to save it.  Overall, I bought it almost a year ago and I haven't used it much.  If it dies, I might replace it with something else. 

And a new and very prized addition to my herb garden: raspberries!  I know, I know, it isn't an herb.  But until it grows up big and strong, it's staying in here with a trellis behind it. 



It's a gift from my co-worker and the parent plant it came from is several feet tall and climbing a full size arch trellis.  Quite impressive.  I have high hopes for this little guy. 

So that's my mini-garden.  I have to go look for recipes to use this stuff in now.  If you have any, please share! 

Good luck gardening! 

Kipp

No comments: