Thursday, June 17, 2010

Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies...My Way! (updated)

First of all, I have to start off with this: 

My name is Kipp, and I'm a Pioneer Woman - a - holic.  Thank you for listening. 

Now, for the real reason that you're reading this blog:  COOKIES!!!  I have a small (okay, it's more like the elephant in the room that no one talks about) obsession with cookies.  I have loved every single stinking cookie that I've ever eaten in my entire life.  They're my weakness.  I'd say they're 75% of the reason that I'm squishy.  (The other 25% is of course bread in the form of toast, sandwiches, pizza crust, and croutons.) 

I stumbled upon this twist on Chocolate Chip Cookies and decided that since I'm a fairly experienced cookie maker, I'd better give this one a try.  See below for the original link to Ree Drummond's (aka The Pioneer Woman) original recipe. 

The Pioneer Woman's Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

So off I went to my local Albertsons to pick up all of the cast members that I was going to need:  unsalted butter, chocolate chips, baking soda (give me a break, I just moved 3 months ago and I don't have any), and malted milk powder.  All of these were easy to find, except the malted milk powder.  Don't look in the baking section.  It won't be there.  It's next to the hot cocoa mixes in the hot beverage isle!  But I had a small problem:  Albertsons only had Chocolate Malted Milk powder. 

Oh darn.  I'll just have to increase the chocolate factor of these cookies.  They will now be known as Chocolate Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies.  Take that P-Dub. 

So here you go, my recipe in its entirety.  I've made a couple of teeny tiny modifications.

Chocolate Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter Softened

¾ cups Golden Brown Sugar

¾ cups Sugar

2 whole Eggs

2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract

2-¼ cups All-purpose Flour (Note: I've increased the flour for a more dense and puffier cookie)

1-¼ teaspoon Baking Soda

1-¼ teaspoon Salt

½ cups (rounded) Chocolate Malted Milk Powder

1 bag (12 Ounce) Milk Chocolate Chips (Nestle, of course!) 
Preheat the oven to 325 Degrees.  (I found that 375 Degrees was too hot and my edges got burned!
Cream butter, then add both sugars and cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat slightly, then add vanilla and beat until combined. Add chocolate malted milk powder and beat until combined.

Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating gently until just combined.

Add chocolate chips and stir in gently.

Drop by teaspoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Bake less if you want chewy cookies; more if you want crispy cookies.  Translation for my family:  Bake for 10 minutes if you're a KC, and 12 minutes if you're a Larry. 

Don't even bother asking me if I made ice cream sandwiches with them.  Every time I picked up two of the cooled cookies to try to make a sandwich, they mysteriously disappeared into my mouth before I could even get the ice cream out of the freezer! 

Oh and if you're looking for a picture, well once again I keep eating the evidence before I can get my camera out.  Darn it.  I'm such a nut. 

No comments: