Monday, May 2, 2011

Where were you when __________?

Every single American newspaper relays the same thing today: Osama Bin Laden has been killed at the hands of United State's Special Forces. 

That is the statement that American's have been waiting for.  Just 4 months before we will mourn the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on our country, we have murdered the man that lead Al Qaueda to our door. 

As I watched the Today show on NBC this morning, they sent Matt Lauer to ground zero.  Hundreds of New York citizens were stopping at the edge of the fence on their way to work or play.  Now this was poignant in itself, until you realize that ground zero is simply a huge construction site.  We are rebuilding.  We are growing.  We are healing.  However, the hundreds of people cheering, praying, blowing kisses, and shedding tears prove to me that we will never forget. 

And then I cried. 

I cried because this man was an icon of my lifetime.  I cried because my military friends and family have been fighting the war on terror.  I cried because I was relieved. 

That relief was short lived when I realized that killing this man did not kill the entire sect of people that hate America.  I cried when I realized that some one else will probably take his place.  I cried when I remembered that my cousin will be headed to Afghanistan this fall. 



So as we enter into a time of celebration, I ask you all to please keep praying for our millitary and their families.  The war against terror isn't over just because we killed this man, in fact I'm afraid it's only getting started. 

Love you shrimp. 


"But if you carefully obey his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries."
Exodus 23:23

No comments: